Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Yoga Is For Everyone

It's your first yoga class and like many of us who remember our first one, you may be unsure what to do or what you are getting into. Most likely you decided to try yoga for the physical aspects, which is why I did. I did not like going to the gym and knew I wanted to start something that would help me stay fit as my 30s loomed. I heard yoga could increase flexibility, build strength and tone abs. My first class I didn’t have a mat, so I borrowed one, not knowing if I would stick with it. I went with a friend and we found a spot and waited for the instructor to start. That was over 8 years ago and now I’m the one in front of first-time students explaining different poses and reminding them to breath. For me, I found much more than a physical practice, I found a way life, a way of being and a full community of support. Everyone’s yoga experience will be different, however I can say that everyone can experience yoga.

As yoga became a part of my every-day life, I started feeling better in my body. I knew this was a practice that I could continue throughout my life and grow in many ways. Yoga is a practice and as I learned to listen to my body, things started to shift. One of my yoga teachers says to change your physical body, get on your mat 2-3 times a week, to transform your life get on your mat 5-6.

The physical part of yoga is what helped me shift into the present moment. Through breathe and movement I was able to focus my mind and bring clarity to my life. I went through a year of depression and anxiety, not knowing what I was doing or how to be happy. When I chose to make a change and bring yoga to the forefront, I found a whole new way of being. At first, I thought teaching yoga would be something I would do on the side. I loved teaching my coworkers and they supported me throughout my training. Then things shifted again and I knew I wanted to take my yoga practice to the next level and share it with anyone willing. I met an amazing teacher who’s light and love transformed my practice into one where anything is possible. It’s all about timing and when you’re open and ready the teacher will appear.

I’m not saying everyone who begins a yoga practice will one day be a teacher, but you never know. For those who begin and choose to get on their mat, shifts will happen. Physical shifts, emotional, mental, health, overall well being. Your diet may change as you listen to your body more. You may find more patience in your interactions with family and coworkers. Your friends may comment at a wedding that besides the bride, you look like the happiest person in the room. (Yes, a friend told tell me that recently.) You will attract people in your life that lift you up and challenge you to be you, always. The more free you are to be the person you were meant to be, the more fulfilled and happy you will be in life. And who doesn’t want more of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment